Regenerative Organic Agriculture:
Our path to climate positivity
We at Dr. Bronner’s produce natural cosmetics from regeneratively grown and Fair Trade as well as organic certified raw materials. In this way, we make a positive contribution within our value chain for our earth & the climate as well as for smallholder farmers & their communities.
Intensive conventional agriculture causes almost one quarter of global greenhouse gas emissions, making it one of the main drivers of climate change. We know that it can be done differently, and that the agricultural system can be transformed from a problem into a solution. That’s why we have set out to grow our raw materials according to principles of regenerative organic agriculture, thereby improving the health of soils and plants.
Healthy soils enable higher yields for smallholder farmers without requiring the use of agrochemicals, in addition to permanently absorbing excess carbon (CO2) from the atmosphere.
Our journey to a humane and sustainable value chain began in 2005 with the shift to certified organic and Fair Trade raw materials. We want to know exactly by whom and under what conditions they are grown. That’s why we produce our most important agricultural raw materials in close cooperation with smallholder farmers around the world, either in our own production or with partner projects.
In 2010, we began to grow our most important raw materials additionally according to the principles of regenerative organic farming:
1. SOIL HEALTH
- Use of compost & mulching helps build humus and eliminates the need for synthetic fertilizers & pesticides
- Cover crops sequester CO2 in the soil, turn nitrogen into soil fertilizer, and reduce erosion & weeds
- Mixed forests with field & tree plants increase biodiversity
- Minimal tillage protects soil life (e. g. roots, fungi) and prevents evaporation of water & release of carbon
2. SOCIAL FAIRNESS
- Fair prices & living wages strengthen economic stability of smallholder farmers and their communities
- Safe working conditions and long-term business relationships facilitate collaboration based on trust
3. ANIMAL WELFARE
- Holistic grazing: animals return nutrient-rich manure to soil & systematically rotate to allow pastures to recover
- No factory farming to allow natural behaviors to occur